Google My Business is one of the easiest ways to boost your SEO. Through your Google My Business listing, users get to know your business’ location, operating hours, photos, and other people’s reviews. If you’re targeting local customers, Google My Business should be one of your early efforts in marketing your brand. People search for businesses in a specific location, so having a Google My Business listing will enable your customers to easily find you.
Convinced? Here’s a guide for you on how to set-up your own Google My Business listing, as well as some tips to maximise the platform. We will tackle the following:
- Creating and account and verifying your business
- Adding media to your profile
- Managing reviews
- Using the GMB Mobile App
Creating an Account and Verifying Your Business
- Sign in to your Google account
- Go to google.com/business and click “Start Now”.
- Enter your business name and address, and tick the options applicable to the nature of your business (i.e. if you deliver goods/services or if you want to hide your address)
- Choose your business category, and then add your contact details.
- Choose your verification option and follow the steps provided by Google to verify your business
- After claiming and verifying your business, go to your GMB Dashboard, click “Info” and fill out more necessary details. It’s important to get your information right in the first place so that people don’t need to suggest edits.
- Keep your information updated all the time by editing as necessary.
Adding Media to Your Profile
Now that you’ve claimed your business and filled out the necessary information, it’s time to add media such as photos and videos to your profile. Upload the following highly recommended media to your GMB listing:
- Profile Photo – add your identity image, such as your logo. This will appear when you reply to reviews and upload new media
- Cover Photo – probably the most important image, add a photo that best shows your image. Note that this will appear above your essential information and is the first photo that searchers will see.
- Exterior Photos – help your users find exactly where you are by uploading photos of your store’s exterior
- Interior Photos – let your audience know the ambiance of your store by uploading photos of your store’s interior
- Products/Services – let your potential customers know what you’re offering through your product photos or how your services are delivered.
- Other Industry-Specific Photos – add other images relevant to your brand like rooms of your hotel, your team members and the like.
- Videos – you may also post short, relevant, and high-resolution videos to your GMB profile
Photos should be at least 720×720 px, while videos should be less than 100MB with at least 720p resolution.
Positive reviews will help make your Google My Business listing more attractive. Encourage your satisfied customers to leave a review in your GMB profile. You can manage your reviews by responding to them. Thank your happy customers, and apologize to negative feedback.
Using the GMB Mobile App
A Google My Business Mobile App is also available for both Android and iOS users. However, functions are limited to updating your information, posting photos, and viewing insights.
We highly recommend preparing your Google My Business listing. Keep it complete, accurate. Not only will you have an attractive GMB profile, you’ll also aid in driving customers to your local business.